Shareholders of Cogent Communications Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:CCOI) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 4.1% annualized dividend yield can sell the July 2020 covered call at the $70 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.95 bid, which annualizes to an additional 5.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $70 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but CCOI shares would have to climb 12.5% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 15.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.
In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Cogent Communications Holdings, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for CCOI below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 4.1% annualized dividend yield.
Below is a chart showing CCOI's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $70 strike highlighted in red:
The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the July 2020 covered call at the $70 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $70. (Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Cogent Communications Holdings, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $62.19) to be 26%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the CCOI Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
This Article's Word Cloud:ArialCCOICogentCommunicationsHoldingsJulyOptionsStockYieldBoostaboveafterLeftLabelsannualizedawayaxisColorbackgroundbeforeLeftLabelsbeyondbkgImagebottomBufferbottomLabelsbottomTableHeightcallcalledchartchartBackgroundColorclientIdcoveredcurrentdividenddocumentescapefillBelowLinefillColorfontFacefontSizefromgridBackgroundColorgridColorgridLocationheighthistorylabelColorlabelSideleftleftBufferoptionsstockstriketradingwhether
Any ideas and opinions presented in all Market News Video clips are for informational and educational purposes
only, and do not reflect the opinions of BNK Invest, Inc. or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries or partners.
In no way should any content contained herein be interpreted to represent trading or investment advice.
None of the information contained herein constitutes a recommendation that any particular security, portfolio,
transaction, or investment strategy is suitable for any specific person. All viewers agree that under no
circumstances will BNK Invest, Inc,. its subsidiaries, partners, officers, employees, affiliates, or agents be held
liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on information obtained. Read Full Disclaimer.